Sunday, August 1, 2010

Homemade Baby-Food: Some Basics

I'm DEFINITELY not a chef.
Nor am I super green or Earthy.   
Making homemade baby-food is not my "cause" in life.
I know many babies grow up perfectly healthy and happy without it.

However, after LOTS of research, I found out it's the best for us and our family.  Just in case it might be best for you and your family, I'm posting some hints.  

SOME BASICS:
  • Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended (I can give you ENDLESS references, but for starters the American Academy of Pediatrics) for the first 4-6 months of life.  Breastfeeding should be baby's primary source of nutrients until age 1.  (With iron-rich foods or supplementation after six months.)
  • Babies should be introduced single-ingredient foods first, to decrease the risk and identify potential food allergy.
  • It's WAY too easy, too healthy, and too economical to NOT make your own baby-food!
  • Certain foods should be avoided until certain ages (dairy, citrus, peanuts, shell-fish, wheat, certain whole fruits, etc...)
  • I make my babies' food, using the techniques I'll explain here, until they have shown no sign of ingredient allergy and are developmentally ready to transition to the food I make for the rest of the family.
  • I introduce single-ingredient foods a minimum of 3 days a part and look for signs of my babies' intolerance to foods - including upset stomach, fussiness, gas, changes in stool patterns, and diaper-rash.
  • I freeze single ingredients, then after I know it sits well with baby, I mix and match frozen cubes. 
  • I like to get my babies HOOKED on veggies before I introduce them to the sweet fruits.
  • I've taken homemade baby-food across the country on road trips and on airplanes.  Long-trips and short-trips alike.
  • I know what's in it, I buy organic, and it TASTES yummy. 
A great book (has how to cook ANY food you would ever want to give your baby) -
Top 100 Baby Purees, by Annabel Karmel

    1 comment:

    1. oh.... I'm so glad you shared this. I've been looking for some tips and simple tricks and these are all really simple. thanks!

      ReplyDelete