Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Unanswerable... what an adventure

Yesterday as we were driving (where all deep theological questions happen lately), Marshal said it confused him a bit - how God is God, and God is Jesus' dad, and Jesus is ALSO God.  

He's five, mind you. 

And I gave him some slightly lame explanation about an egg having three parts, but all still being an egg.  "Does that make sense?" I asked him.  "No, not really," he said.  

I was trying to explain to him a concept that has baffled people for ages.  I was trying to define an infinite God.  Trying to explain the unfathomable.  Trying to box into our own understanding that which cannot be understood.  In a way, stopping his critically thinking heart from embracing the wonder of God.  

I went back to Marsh today.  I told him I was sorry.  "For what?" He asked.  For making it seem like I have God all figured out.  "God is big and smart and amazing. And there are lots of things that I can't quite make sense of." And that's what makes God GOD. And that's ok.  

And if I think about it... It makes for an amazing adventure. All the things I crave: purpose, love, revelation, the supernatural - are all found in a loving, passionate, and very real God. And I don't understand everything.  I don't have to repackage the unknown into something explainable.  Actually, in doing so, I take the wonder out of God completely. 

But there are some things I DO understand.  Like that HE knows and understands EVERYTHING.  That he can be trusted, because he is good and because he loves me.  I don't have to grasp the ins and out of eternity and the godhead.  But wow, what an amazing God.  He leaves me in wonder.  Awestruck, way-cool, worshipful, wonder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment