Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mason's Birth Story



I love being pregnant, I mean I really love it.  The only time in life you are two people, the only time in life when you are 100% responsible for the life of another.  Unborn babies are so vulnerable, so precious.  I've loved both my boys from the second I knew they were inside my womb.  My pregnancy with Mason was wonderful.  Marshal was only 9 months old, I was in the middle of nurse practitioner school, and Jalon was transitioning into his new ministry role when I found out I was pregnant.  I remember laughing out loud and thinking, "NO WAY!" as I looked at my positive pregnancy test.  We were so happy! (This time, we told Jeremy and Rachel by sticking the pregnancy test on his desk, he figured it out right away... Rach called and said, "Do you know anything about a pregnancy test?")  We were blessed with fertility!  Things I remember about my pregnancy - lots of morning sickness (puking all the time!) for about the first 12 weeks; graduating NP school with Mason in my tummy; and teaching Marshal about his new-coming brother.

I was due on Nana's (Jalon's Grandma) birthday, December 6, 2009.  Nana's maiden name is Mason, hence how we chose his name.  I awoke from a dead sleep on November 30th to a very strong contraction.  I looked at the clock, it was EXACTLY midnight.  12:00 - well that would be an easy number to remember.  I tried to go back to sleep, but the contractions kept coming! Five minutes apart like clockwork.  I attempted to wake up Jalon, who mumbled, "Really? Contractions? Let me know how those go..." he then rolled back over and went to sleep.  Not thinking I could really be in labor, I tried to sleep through all the activity, but couldn't.  I got up, walked, took a shower... contractions were still coming.  Again I woke Jalon, letting him know that contractions were still coming.  "Good, let me know if you need me..." and he rolled back over and went to sleep.  In light of my slow progression with Marshal, I didn't want to make any hasty moves to the hospital - especially since this time we planned to deliver in a hospital only minutes from home.  I happened to have a OB appointment that morning at 8:00 - so I was telling myself come what may I was not going anywhere until that appointment! At four o'clock, when contractions were still going strong and 5 min apart, I decided to text my mom and dad (dad would be awake, mom would be excited enough to not mind being woken up).  I laid in bed texting my mom and trying to rest.  By six Jalon was now awake and we were making sure we had everything to go to the hospital if my OB thought it was necessary.  Eight o'clock came, and I was very uncomfortable! We went to my appointment, and Dr. French checked my cervix... I was praying the whole time, "God , PLEASE don't let me only be 2 cm!!!" (See Marshal's birth story for THAT 2 cm story!) And alas! I was 4cm! So like that we drove across the parking lot and checked into the hospital.

My mom was home with Marshal.  My best friend/SIL Rachel joined Jalon and I for the process.  We walked halls, and I progressed.  As the pain increased I decided again for an epidural.  At around 1:00 pm I was about 9 cm and Dr. French came in and broke my water.  The epidural was very effective and by around 3 o'clock I was fully dilated.  The nurse said, "go ahead and try a little pushing with the next contraction." - Little did she know I was such a pushing champion! As soon as I started pushing she said, "OK, stop, stop, stop!" And left the room to call my doctor. He arrived and we began to prepare for Mason's entrance into the external world.  I remember being so happy, and so excited.  I REALLY ENJOYED THAT MOMENT! (The biggest blessing of an epidural for me is this time frame right here.) I actually cried some tears of joy - I was about to meet Mason, on the outside! I was about to kiss his little face, and look into his eyes, and nurse and cuddle my new love.  Dr. French told me I could push, and within the next two contractions Mason was born.  As soon as the providers cut the cord and knew he was healthy - they laid him on my chest.  It was so special, they dimmed the lights - and left.  I got to snuggle and cuddle him, I kissed and nursed him.  Mommy and Daddy got some wonderful alone time with our new miracle "M" - all before they even put him on a scale.  It was beautiful; he was beautiful.  My favorite baby part? His amazing little wrists.  So tiny!

Mason Scott Peters
8lbs 3 oz
20 in
Born November 30, 2009 @ 3:57 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment