Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Just Enjoy Now

I'm big on living for the season.

There was a snapshot of time when I had the privilege of working with a really great mom.  It just so happened that she was also a great nurse.  During this season, her young son was sick with a very rare type of cancer. Coincidentally I was pregnant with my first son. 

This mom had some kind of raw and real love for her children.  Somehow, just through conversation, you knew that she loved her husband, and would die for her kids.  For some reason I needed to know her wisdom; I was drawn to her.  I wanted her to teach me how to be THAT kind of mom, even in the face of such frankly painful circumstances.  So one day I asked.  "Give me some advice.  I want to be a mom like you."  Do you know what she said? "I always enjoy the season.  We don't miss the times that are gone and we don't look for the next stage.  Just enjoy now."  Just enjoy now.  Great wisdom from a mom who was living her last season with her son; wisdom that somehow aged her like beautiful patina on weathered copper.

I don't know if she'll ever know how much she impacted me, in many ways.  But I'm thankful she did.

I've been reminded of her words recently.  One of these days my boys will be too big to hold.  They won't want to snuggle.  They'll be embarrassed when we kiss them in front of their friends.  Sure enough, there'll be a season when they don't like Mama and Daddy, or would rather play with someone else.

But that's not today.  Today Marshal loves to be rocked to sleep, with Doug and a blanket.  Today I save the day when I can reach the plastic sheep behind the toy-box.  Today I nurse Mason to sleep and then hold him with his face buried in my neck; his soft and squishy cheek only a head's turn away from mine.  Today I am their playmate, teacher, cook, protector, and audience.  I love today. Today I think I'll just enjoy now.

1 comment: