Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What Really Matters

Before you read on...
Just for fun, fill in the blank:
"I am a ___________."


Lately I've been pondering what really matters in life.  Often it seems the things that matter to me are also the things by which I define myself. These "identities" tend to bring me security. For example, if my job really matters to me; it is easy then to define myself by that job -  say I'm a business owner - this can become my identity, and this identity can bring a sense of security.

Fill in the blank however appropriate... job, role, talent, etc.

But I wonder, are these the things that really matter in life? Should these things, however noble, be what define me? Are these places safe to invest my hope of security? I'm beginning to think otherwise.

Who I am is actually unrelated to what I do. This is logical. What if I could no longer do the things that bring me security? I would by no means cease to be.  With the example above, in reality I would own a business - but  that would not be who I am, that would be what I do for a profession. My business could be stripped from me for many reasons and that would in no way effect my identity, unless I had placed my identity in that profession.

So this being said, I want to be intentional about who I am.
I do not want to place my identity in what I do.
Likewise I won't lose security when I fail.   
I want there to be fruit produced in my life that is reflective of this identity.

I do not want to place my security in position, possession, performance, perfection, or prestige.

I want my actions NOT to be driven by a need for validation, acceptance, or appreciation.
I want my actions to be a simple by-product of the work that God is doing in me.

I am a child of God.
He loves me beyond my understanding.
Jesus brings me security.
I have been shown much mercy, so I want be quick to forgive.
I want to extend grace.
I want to be humble.
I want to prefer and value others.
This is what really matters.


Some further reading:
Rachel Barkey's Story
Luke 12:34

2 comments:

  1. jess, this is beautiful and honest. i love it. such an encouragement to me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess for your words! They really spoke to me and made me think about what really matters and how I define myself! Thanks for being so real! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete